[filmscanners] Re: Sharpening and JPEG/TIFF (was: Color spaces for different purposes)

> This is why you should never apply the unsharp masking on your high-res
> scans until the final target use of the image is known, and, if
> necessary, the image is resampled down for that use.  For example, if
> you print a 360dpi image on a high quality inkjet printer on glossy
> media, you would need just a little unsharp masking, whereas printing
> the same image on offset press where the 4-color process screening will
> make images appear much softer you would need to apply a much stronger
> unsharp mask for the same final apparent crispness.
>
> If this same image was used for web, you would first downsample it to
> 72dpi, then unsharp mask it for appropriate level of crispness at that
> resolution.
>
> Sami

While I agree with what you say, the reason for it is wrong. "72dpi" has no
meaning for
screen viewing. Only the pixel dimensions are relevant. Screens don't know
"dpi" or
"ppi". They only show pixels.

Obviously, applying the same degree of sharpening to a 3000x2000 pixel image
and to
a 800x600 pixel image will have drastically different results.

           Mac McDougald -- DOOGLE DIGITAL
  500 Prestwick Ridge Way # 39 - Knoxville, TN 37919
 doogle@doogle.com  865-540-1308  http://www.doogle.com