From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <mlidaka@ameritech.net>
Sent: Saturday, June 08, 2002 8:34 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Color spaces for different purposes

[snipped]

> conversion from TIFF to JPG reduces file size and
>apparently compresses, I would think to Maximum quality.  Sharpening at
that
<point was what I was suggesting, before saving as a more-compressed JPG

Saving a file as a JPG file at a level of compression involving the least
amount of compression would obviously result in much less lost empirical
information (e.g., actual image data) than to save at higher compression
levels; however, I think it is questionable if the remaining empirical data
would represent maximum quality in all cases.  But to change the existing
data in the original JPG file by sharpening and then resaving the result to
a more compressed state is one of the sorts of actions which tends to
produce the often found JPG artifacts and deterioration of the image that
such a file can produce.

[remainder snipped]