[filmscanners] Black levels mangled in Nikon Scan (?)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Black levels mangled in Nikon Scan (?)
  • From: "Julian Vrieslander" <julianv@mindspring.com>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 21:58:34 -0400

I'm appending below some excerpts from a current thread in the usenet group
comp.periphs.scanners.  This information (if true) seems to confirm what
some of us have been suspecting - that NikonScan messes with black levels in
a peculiar way.  The symptoms show up as a loss of shadow detail, or as
discontinuous shapes and sharp cutoffs in histograms.

I've wondered if this was a bug, since VueScan produces smooth histos from
the same slides.  But now we learn that this might be a "feature"
intentionally provided for us by Nikon, so that more of our scans will come
out contrasty, and with the same dark blacks and blocked up shadows that we
are used to seeing in drug store prints.

Perhaps someone on this list can provide a more technical explanation of
what it going on here.

*****