[filmscanners] Re: Black levels mangled in Nikon Scan (?)

Hi,
I'm the moderator of Multi Pro group (only multipro)
at Yahoo  - It seems as we got the same problem.

This is the result of a long threads of Minolta Soft
1.02 Multi Pro Vs Vuescan.

It is an software issue - and the most true and
undertandable explanation follows:

Either is it in the calibration or in the prescan:
The Blackpoint and Whitepoint is not exactly set.
That is - the CCD's are given the "wrong gain" leading
to "walling" off the histogram to either side *and/or*
loss of some part of the histogram.

Several tests with Vuescan and the Minoltasoft 1.02
confirms this!

All of us agree that this is the case.

There are workarounds - in Minolta soft You can chose
a part of the picture to represent the rest of the
scan and get it right.

However for Minolta Multi Pro - this is agreed by many
Minolta facilities - but not officially yet agreed by
Minolta Japan. We wait for a new version of that
software. With Vuescan we get the "right" histogram.

This may eas up Your discussion - if it's the same
problem - and for me it certainly sounds familiar!

This just came before my eyes - and as a hint for You
fellows using Nikon instead of the Minolta MF-scanner
I give You our theori about this phenomenon.
In general - for color negatives and B/W is it harder
to get the Bp and Wp because of it's wider
EV-latitude. So also for the programmers - Ed Hamrick
did it - hat's off!

Bo Wrangborg/Sweden
Moderator
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multipro
No other posts here exept for users of the Multi Pro.
Posts / inlays here of orther things not regarding
Multi Pro are removed! But feel free to read it's
postings!