[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED
  • From: "Jim Christensen" <jimc@uwphoto.net>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 09:21:26 -0700

Wow what a response!

First, let me say that the SS-4000 is a wonderful scanner, and it has
performed flawlessly
for me.  The real problem that I have has is many of my slides are
processed on dive
boats, where water contamination, dirt, scratches, sludge, fingerprints,
etc., are imbedded
into the emulsion.  After seeing what the Digital Ice had done with one
of my slides,
I was convinced.  The slide in question had water marks, scuffs, dirt,
and contamination
in it, and after many hours retouching I had given up as it being
unrepairable.  I had a friend
scan it with digital ice, and the output came out almost perfect.  I
could have used it with
no retouching.  Needless to say I was both amazed and convinced.

I have found that when using my SS-4000, almost every scan needs a
little work for dust,
or specks, and would like to reduce the retouching time.

I have noticed that the Image that was scanned with Digital Ice does
make the picture a
little softer, but again that picture was in terrible shape.

Jim Christensen