[filmscanners] RE: Flatbeds for 6x6 negs.

David,

thanks for your thorough answer. I admit my question wasn't detailed enough.
What I actually wanted to know is if the flatbeds which have been discussed
in this and other threads (Umax, Epson 2450, Epson 1680 etc.) are good
enough to maintain the advantage that 6x7 film has over 35mm once scanned
and printed at 11x14".
I am sure that a real MF filmscanner would make the difference visible,
although with the sort of problems you mention, but they are definitely not
cheap. On the other hand, I would feel a bit silly if I'd come up with a
combo (MF camera+ flatbed scanner) which gives me just as good results as
those I already get with a 35mm camera + Canon FS4000 (or worse?). Why
bother, then?
As for the s/w, I'd use Vuescan with both, only to scan portra400 bw (which
is a forgiving film and makes scanner life easy), so I don't think that
would matter much.
So, the bottom line question is: can you tell a 11x14" print from a 35mm
scanned with your SS4000, from a 11X14" print from a 6x6 scanned with the
Umax?
Apart from the fact that one picture is square, I mean :-)
This would help me decide whether to wait for the next MF filmscanner
generation, or the next hi-res flatbeds, or whatever.

Thanks,
Alex