[filmscanners] Re: Memory requirement for PC with scanner

At 06:58 27/05/2002 -0400, Tom Scales wrote:
>I think 128MB would be too
>low, even to scan, but 256Mb would be OK.  For that matter, memory is so
>cheap, I'd add more even to that machine.

I am scanning from a Nikon LS30, saving 64bit RGBI files using
Vuescan.  This gives compressed TIFF files of around 33MB each.  128MB
memory is fine for this on a P500 laptop.  Takes 2 minutes per frame.  I
was previously using a P200 with 64MB.  This took just the same time to
scan, but was much slower at any post scanning manipulation.

I second the idea of scanning using a separate machine.  Even though W2K
task manager shows that there is about 50% CPU load scanning using Vuescan
(was 100% on a P200), trying to run anything alongside Vuescan is virtually
impossible for me.  Perhaps that would be very different with more memory.

Mike Bloor