[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000 Depth of field

dickbo wrote:

> Lets get this straight. If a film has curvature of field then by and
> definition you care to name you will get image distortion of one kind or
> another.
>
> I would suggest that if you are prepared to accept edge distortion, because
> it has little if any effect on the subjective impression of the actual
> picture, you should also be totally unaware of any loss in definition at the
> edges.
> ( will you kindly note that cropping has yet to be introduced into the
> equation and it might just be that such an action renders all your chat
> totally irrelevent)
>
> On the other hand if image sharpness at the edge of an image really matters
> that much then so will image distortion.
> I would claim that distortion is the worse of the two failings and as such
> the correct solution of using glass applies, as it does in all other
> matters.

I would definitely challenge that.  In terms of how most respond to each
"defect", out of focus edges appear to be a greater annoyance that the
minimal edge distortion of most film within a non-glass carrier with
other scanners.

> I might also point out that comparing the Nikon scanner with the Polaroid
> Sprintscan 120 is utter nonsense because in the UK a typical asking price
> for the Nikon is £1299.00 while for the Polaroid it is £2,899.00

> I would suggest that it is easier and cheaper to put glass around a film
> image than it is to fork out the additional £1,600 not to have to so do.

Are we comparing apples and oranges?  Just which Nikon are you pricing
here?  The LS4000 is a 35mm scanner.  The equivalent model in the
Polaroid line is the SS4000 or now SS4000+.  Or we can talk about medium
format scanners, the LS 8000 Nikon versus the SS120...

The people who have been discussing owning the SS120 were people
requiring a medium format scanner.  They were not purchasing it as a
35mm scanner with good DOF.

Having said that, if the SS4000/SS4000+ are not available in England,
people might indeed be left with the Nikon 4000 as the choice for 35mm
work.  That doesn't alter the DOF situation, however, it just means
people in England may have no other choice.  Personally, I think
Polaroid is making a marketing error in not servicing Europe, if that is
the case.

Art