[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000 Depth of field

I would like to commend Julian Robinson's method for measuring film flatness and
depth of focus:
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~julian/photography/ls2000-focus.htm

If you have a Nikon scanner you should do the tests he describes. Use a variety
of different film stock, and test the different film holders. You will then know
what is sharp and what is not-quite-sharp.

At best, you might spend an hour testing, and find everything works perfectly.

At worst, you could find the scanner is seriously out of alignment and needs to
be sent back for fixing or replacement.

My result (with an LS-30) was in between: I found that the motorised film strip
feeder did not reliably hold every part of the film within the zone of sharp
focus. So I know to use the film strip holder instead, except for quick and
dirty scans of a bunch of negs, when the motorised feeder is OK.

Thanks again, Julian.

Peter Marquis-Kyle