[filmscanners] Re: Epson Printing Post Scanning...continued

Hi Simon,

On the one hand, there are 4 fingers and a thumb ;-)...

This is one of those situations that could be answered "Yes, it's all a
matter of numbers", but the question is which numbers one is going to
consider.  With enough information, I'm sure someone could plug the
numbers into an equation and determine which scanner causes more
aliasing of grain.  The number of elements on the CCD only provides part
of the picture.  The size of the actual element, and the distance
between each element are also important determining factors, and further
is the fact that the image is "projected" onto the CCD sensor, so the
ratio of magnification, and the area of the CCD sensor that is engaged,
determines the optical "dpi" numbers.  Therefore, dpi tells you more of
the story than the total number of elements per CCD line.  The next
matter is the size of the grain or grain clouds of the film involved.

At the end, there is a soup of numbers that probably can be plugged into
an equation and result in the answer you are seeking, but I sure don't
know the numbers or the equation ;-).

However, in general, at least from the empirical, it appears scanners in
the 2400-2900 dpi ranges tend toward increasing grain aliasing problems
with average film grain sizes, while those of about 4000 dpi are less
problematical.

Perhaps some others here can add to or further discuss this matter.

Art