[filmscanners] Re: Re:GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

dickbo writes:

> I have yet to meet a software man who is
> happy with any "other's"  software.

You obviously have not met me, then.  There's lots of software out there
written by people other than myself that I find perfectly satisfactory, and
yet I am a software engineer by natural inclination and profession.  It's
just that Nikon Scan is not in that category.  Neither is HP's Desk Scan,
which I do not consider a coincidence.

> The first thing they do is to look at the
> code and look at the programme structure.

That would be difficult to do in the case of Nikon Scan, since neither the
code nor the program structure is published.

> Whatever you may think, as a software man
> about this programme, the best judge of it's
> relevence is not you or yours but the average
> non computer competent user.

A lot of average users have been far more critical of the Nikon Scan
software than the software engineers have.  The latter tend to be more
forgiving of certain types of failings, since they know what it takes to
overcome them.

A high-school interface design, however, is a failing that is not only easy
to overcome, but trivial to avoid in the first place.  Similarly,
reliability and ergonomy are simply a matter of competent design and
adequate test and coding up front.