[filmscanners] RE: Re:GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

>> You must be  a computer techno to say that. I totally
>> disagree with everything in your message.

I am a 'computer techo' (a C++ developer), and I have to totally agree
with his message. Nikon Scan makes several moves away from the Windows
interface standards, making it unintuitive for new users. It works, but
undoubtedly could do with some improvements.

If an application performs flawlessly, has a perfect function set, and
is totally bug-free, then the authors can, to a certain extent, justify
playing with new interface styles and methodologies. However, since I've
never come across software yet which fulfills those 3 criteria (and
that's in 19 years of using, writing and maintaining applications) it's
not relevant. The time should have been spent making the application
work, not in inventing new UI styles.

Vuescan also has a fairly poor interface - a lot of the visual clues and
intuitive workflow is simple non-existant. However, since the output
results from VS are massively better than those obtained with NS, I am
prepared to overlook the simplistic interface. I also am aware of how
complicated Mac/Windows cross-platform UI development can be (having
done a fair bit myself) so again, I rather generously give Ed the
benefit of the doubt.

Mark