[filmscanners] Re: Re:GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

Mark writes:

> Vuescan also has a fairly poor interface ...

True, but I believe that's because Ed spends his time getting the product to
do what it is supposed to do, and getting it to do it well.  Therefore, like
you, I'm willing to overlook the less-than-perfect interface.  It does
conform to Windows standards, for the most part, it's just not very
friendly.

The situation with Nikon Scan is different.  It takes a lot of time to
create curvy-smooth 3-D effects that are independent of Windows APIs, and
pretty buttons that gleam when you click them, and so on.  All of this is
time _not_ spent on making the product work.  That is why I find it puerile
and the mark of poor software engineering.  Until you have a product that
works perfectly and well, it's quite irresponsible to waste a lot of time
and resources making it look pretty on the screen, particularly when your
version of prettiness conflicts with established standards for the
environment.  As I've already indicated, this sort of mistake absolutely
reeks of the clueless newbie programmer--it is the "schoolgirl style" of
software development.