From: "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca>
To: <titust@sympatico.ca>
Sent: Friday, April 05, 2002 4:35 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Help with Vuescan?

In general, it is suggested that USM or sharpening be the last thing
done on an image (other than perhaps some cloning to fix defects that
appear as a result of the sharpening.)

So, by the time this is to be applied, all the color balancing, level
and curves adjustments, etc, should have been completed in 16 bit.  I
see no advantage to keeping an image in 16 bit mode for printing
purposes.  No printing technique has the color range to make use of 16
bit color depth (I'm assuming you are using an RGB or other color image
with 16 bits per color (48 bit) or is it a monochromic image at 16 bits
total?)

Also, if you are only trying to see if the image benefits from
sharpening, why not convert it to 8 bit within Photoshop, and try
sharpening it?  Save it as a separate image file, which does no damage
to the original 16 bit image.  If it works well, complete whatever other
manipulation you need to for the image in 16 bit mode, and make sure the
sharpening is the last process, so changing to 8 bit has no influence on
the final result.

Art