[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED and sharpness/focus

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 11:58:55 -0500   Gary Richardson
(grichardson@watercove.com) wrote:

> I've got the Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED. When I'm scanning a slide I'm
> finding that it's somewhat out of focus (or better stated, not sharp),
> and I
> have to sharpen it up in Photoshop. I suppose that's not a big deal but I
> figured a high end scanner like this could do better. I was getting
> sharper
> scans out of my old HP Photosmart scanner.

You should expect to apply some unsharp masking in PS, as any CCD scanner
will produce a softened scan due to aliasing (unless the scanner/software
applies some itself). However it's not clear if this is the extent of your
problem. Are scans soft across the frame, or some parts of the image are
softer than others?

 > Also, I'm finding that when I scan in a 35mm color negative, the
> resulting
> scan is VERY grainy.

Grain aliasing! Best suggestion is try a range of films until you find
emulsions which don't cause this artifact. Or, er, defocus the scanner
slightly ;)

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info