[filmscanners] Re: Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED and sharpness/focus

Arthur writes:

> It might be helpful if you could mention
> what size the section that is shown in your
> sample was at the source film, what resolution
> it was scanned in and what film format was scanned.

Another example, at http://www.smallevents.com/sample1.jpg, shows the entire
image (downsampled).  You can compute the size of the extract in inches by
dividing its pixel dimensions by 4000, since it was scanned at 4000 dpi and
not resized in any way.  The film format was Velvia, 6x6, in the supplied
120 film strip holder (not the optional one with glass, which I'm still
waiting for), ICE enabled but none of the ROC or GEM stuff.

One thing I've noticed with scanners like this seems to be that, no matter
what resolution they scan at, the actual look of the scan for a given size
of pixel on the screen seems the same.  None of them every really shows
adjacent black and white pixels, i.e., if you scanned a 2000 lpi set of
black and white lines with these scanners at 4000 dpi, the contrast between
adjacent pixels still wouldn't be 100% (I don't think).  They do seem to
resolve their nominal pixels in strict terms, but not with 100% contrast
transfer.