[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS-40 vs Polaroid SS4000

Jack,

I respect your affiliation, and I respect ASF, even for the  great name
your company cam e up with.  I find the concepts behind your company's
software absolutely ingenious as well.

But to imply, heck, to state, that the 2740S is a "superior scanner"
relative to the SS4000 or SS4000+ because of their license of the dICE
trio, is, well, I don't even know the terms to use.

It would be one thing if dirt dust and scratches were a big problem to
begin with when using the Polaroid scanners (which they are not, as
attested to by many who use them) but, the clean up can be handled in
the vast majority of cases in a few minutes of Photoshop or any other
program with a clone tool.

To call a film scanner "superior" because it has cleaning software built
in (and I don't know if the registration problem has been resolved with
the IR scan done separately, or not - perhaps you can comment further)
when it has nearly 1/3th lower resolution (at optical spec at the CCD),
and worse d-max and dynamic range numbers, meaning noisier shadow
detail, is a very odd type of judgment.

The Acer/Benq Scanwit 2720s and 2740S is very good scanner value, and I
have always stated so.  But value is dependent upon need of result, as
well.  As you know if you have read my views on this list, I have
promoted the Acer/Benq film scanners many times, and I also have
indicated the Minolta Dual II (without dICE) is a potentially good value
should they get a good one.

On the other hand, Minolta Elite II, with dICE is not a good value at
its current pricing, IMO, because it still has the same problems as the
Minolta Dual II, and it cost twice as much.  In this case, and to some
extent the Nikon as well, seem to suffer from the greater need syndrome.
  That being a technology was added to the product to overcome a flaw
(exaggerated dust, dirt, scratches, and grain (I think I'm going to coin
this "DDSG" from now on) is promoted as a "feature".  Although we still
have the clone tool to deal with DD and S, with both of these scanners,
for whatever reason, they require both dICE and GEM to "fix" a problem
some scanners don't have to begin with.

I have no problem in directing people toward value.  Both Acer/Benq
models show this.  But there is a vast difference between good value and
superior product, so let's no confuse the two here.

Art