[filmscanners] Re: Grain from negs with Multi Pro

>>You've raised the same question I have just posted (I just got to your
posting now).  Perhaps someone can answer that question.  I'm suspecting
there might be something to the use of "electronic sharpening" going on
with certain scanners, or indeed some firmware or software sharpening.

If it is within firmware, even using the same software won't remove the
variable.  As I mentioned in my posting, I am beginning to think one
can't judge a scan until proper use of unsharp masking is done to
determine is any pre-sharpening has been feed into the mix, which might
reduce the amount of unsharp masking that can be used before
objectionable artifacts occur.<<

I suspect this is what was happening during my testing of the Imacon II. The
scans were on the grainy side, and couldn't take very much USM. I later
discovered that setting the Imacon software to 0 sharpening still resulted
in a significant amount of sharpening. To scan with zero hardware sharpening
required a software value of negative one or two hundred.