[filmscanners] Re: Supra for scanning?

bobkehl@kvernkehl.com wrote:

> Hi Tris,
>
> I've been using Supra 100 and 400 for scanning with my Nikon 4000ED, which
> seems to particularly sensitive to grain/grain aliasing.  I've found the
> grain to be more than I desire.  Some members of this list have recommended
> slightly overexposing negative film by 1/3 to 1/2 stop.  Other members have
> also recommended Superia, especially Reala 100 speed film.  I have just
> ordered some Reala and Provia100F. I hope for some improvement.

Provia, and Sensia of course, perform excellent on this scanner.
So does also Agfa slide material CT and RXS, by the way. I used
Provia 100 and 400, Sensia 100 and 200. I have observed though
massive grain/noise/texture (you name it) problem on all Ektachromes
and Elitechromes including 100 ISO films, what was a nasty surprise
to me. Especially the E200Pro scans are not usable without applying
GEM. Vuescan was helpless in dealing with this material. I am happy
about the recently here recommended trick of making a "raw file" using
NikonScan+ICE+GEM and applying Vuescan to obtain the final scan.
Fast and good.

Thomas.