[filmscanners] Re: Films and scanners going together

On      Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:14:27 +0100  Tomek Zakrzewski
(tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl) wrote:

> Which of the current scanning software programms does the best job in
> color
> reproduction of images from these negs?

IMO software makes only a secondary contribution, or attempt to improve how
the hardware copes with a particular film. It seems an odd approach to me,
with potential problems in complexity and unexpected interactions. Far
better to design towards minimising the problems in the first place. KISS,
in other words.

Without wanting to spark an OT thread, it's a bit like hi-fi plastered in
features and graphic equalisers vs. optimal, simpler designs. Featuritis
ensues, and before long marketing has promoted compensations for poor
design to the status of indispensable assets.

EG... I've never understood why scanners don't have Peltier cooling instead
of multiple passes to reduce noise. It's hardly expensive.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons