[filmscanners] Films and scanners going together

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Films and scanners going together
  • From: "Tomek Zakrzewski" <tomzakrz@ka.onet.pl>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:14:27 +0100

I am using mostly color negatives of the following kinds:
Kodak Portra 160 NC/VC, Fuji Superia 200 and Fuji Superia 800.
Which of the current scanning software programms does the best job in color
reproduction of images from these negs? Which is less suitable?
I am asking this question because I know that some films and some
filmscanners don't "agree" very much.
I'm particularly interested on VueScan, Silverfast with Negafix, Nikon and
Minolta software coming with their latest hardware (Nikon 4000ED and Minolta
Multi Pro).

I also need help on one confusing matter:
I'd love to have the Minolta Multi Pro, but it's software is allegedly poor
with negs. And if I use VueScan instead, I definitely lose the ICE and GEM
features of the original software, right?
VueScan's capabilities in these respect are rather of lesser quality, so I'm
stuck and can't make a decision.
With Silverfast 5.5 the situation is similar, I think: no original ICE or
GEM, only Lasersoft's own implementation. Am I right?

Regards

Tomek Zakrzewski