[filmscanners] Re: SS4000+ vs Minolta Dual II/Elite II (was Finally, I can talk ab

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 00:08:12 -0000   (al@greenspace.freeserve.co.uk) wrote:

>  Looking at just the blue channel in greyscale, the
> > higher middle tones and highlights seem relatively smooth, but the
> > lower
> > middle tones and shadows are a mess.
>
> Now this is interesting.  From what I can see, both the Elite and the
> Elite
> II suffer from this as well.  Since I had nothing to compare it with, I
> had
> assumed this was something all scanners suffered from.

The blue channel is generally the weakest, and the biggest source of CCD
shadow noise. Mfrs try to process their way around this, with varying
degrees of success. EG the main difference between the Nikon LS20 and
LS1000 (apart from price and nobbling 2 bits in firmware) a load of
electronics to deal with blue noise. But basically all they can do is
suppress it, they can't invent information which isn't there.

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons