[filmscanners] RE: Slightly OT: Hard Drive Speed

Derek,

> Given the same amount of money, why should you deliberately buy 4-5 times
> less storage just to satisfy someone's idea of an accurate comparison?

But that's a selected example that distorts reality and is NOT an accurate
comparison.  I have shown that two mainstream drives of same specifications
are equal in price for SCSI and IDE, and that IS an accurate and honest
comparison, as opposed to comparing a huge IDE drive with a very small SCSI
drive and claiming that is somehow a fair comparison.

> SCSI and IDE are only comparably priced in a very carefully
> selected subset
> of the market.

I disagree.  I believe it is the fringe, like 10k and 15k drives, high
capacity, high speed interface, that are the exceptions...since IDE can't
compare performance wise, and the applications for those drives is typically
different.

> The rest of the time you gain a lot more storage by getting IDE drives.

At the sacrifice of performance.  Comparing similar performance drives, they
are within spitting distance of each other.  I don't know if you can get
5400 SCSI drives new any more, so the real only comparison is 7200, and I
don't believe IDE come in 10k+ drives...yet.

I think that for imaging one should use the fastest drive they can get, with
the largest capacity, that suits their needs and budget.  If it's SCSI, then
fine...if it's IDE, fine too.  One is NOT a better or worse choice than the
other for your particular situation, and you, or anyone else, doesn't need
to "defend" your choice...but I don't understand why someone needs to
distort reality with an unrealistic comparison.  The same person who is
looking at a 9G SCSI drive isn't also going to be looking at 100G IDE drives
for the same application!  That's what's so silly about it.

Austin