[filmscanners] nikon 4000 ED

I recently purchased a Nikon 4000 ED scanner.  So far I have had very good
luck scanning color negatives and using the Digital ICE control to remove
scratches.  However, when I attempt to scan a monochromatic negative
everything works fine until I enable Digital ICE processing.  If I try to
scan my monochromatic negatives with Digital ICE, the scan turns almost
completely black and is unusable.  I've tried to brighten the image with the
analog gain control to no avail.

Has anyone else had this problem?  Is it possible to use Digital ICE
processing along with monochromatic negatives?  If Digital ICE is
incompatible with monochromatic negatives, is there another method I can use
to remove the scratches from my negatives?

Thank you very much.

Antonio Isidori