[filmscanners] focus/sharpness on Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] focus/sharpness on Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED
  • From: "Gary Richardson" <grichardson@watercove.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2002 08:18:35 -0500

Hi all,

I just joined the list so I apologize if my question has been posted in the
past (are there archives anyplace for this list?)

I've had a Nikon Super Coolscan 4000ED now for a few months. I love the
scanner but find that my scans (35mm slides) aren't that sharp or in focus.
The documentation isn't as thorough, or in my case maybe idiot proof :-), as
I'd like it to be. I think my old cheapo HP photo scanner gave me sharper,
more in focus scans.

I'm sure the Nikon can do better than what I'm getting but I'm not sure what
I need to do/change. I've set the focus point the the area I'd especially
want in focus but it still comes out a bit "fuzzy". Sure, I can sharpen it
up in Photoshop but that's not how I'd like to do it. I'd prefer to have the
scanner give me a nice sharp scan.

Anyone have any ideas? Is this a known problem with the Nikon or am I just
doing something really dumb?

Oh, one other thing that has happened to me... I've scanned a few color
negatives in and the scanned output is VERY grainy. I doubt it's the
negative since the printed photo (from the photo lab) was very nice. Again,
I've only done 2-3 negatives, but they all came out this way. Yet another
mystery for me to solve about this scanner.

Thanks for any help!

-Gary