[filmscanners] FW: filmscanners: Merging multiple scans in Photoshop to deal with very high-contrast scenes

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] FW: filmscanners: Merging multiple scans in Photoshop to deal with very high-contrast scenes
  • From: "Jawed Ashraf" <Jawed@cupidity.force9.co.uk>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 10:01:32 -0000

Here's something I posted a while back.  It's not directly relevant, but it
might provide food for thought.

Using a scanner and a single frame of film I dare say it is possible to scan
it differently, twice and combine the results.

Though I have to say, with Vuescan's ability to capture the entire dynamic
range of the film that the scanner is capable of, and output as a 16-bit
file, I'm not sure why combining two images is worth doing.  A sequence of
standard curves and/or manipulations of Levels should do the trick.

The Nikon scanners allow you to manipulate the "analog gain", which in
theory allows you to create a 3-frame bracket from one frame of film.

Interested to see the results peeps achieve.

Jawed