[filmscanners] handling large MF 500Mb scans

what work arounds have people found for dealing with these large scans?

If you work in 16 bit for just two moves you go over your RAM, even with
1.5Gb, and you are writing to disk so everything slows down dramatically. (I
do need to stay in 16bit for a while with my manipulations)

has anyone used W2K Server with a 3 or 4Gb RAM motherboard? would that speed
things up a lot? I'm thinking about it for my next machine

Or is it always going to happen and SCSI hard drives the route to follow?

I have ATA raid, and it is ok, but there is still so much disk activity,
there's a lot of sitting and waiting.

any ideas or tips?

thanks,  pg