[filmscanners] Nikon's IV ED

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Nikon's IV ED
  • From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 16:59:54 +0200

Hi all.
Planning on acquiring scanner soon, I would appreciate hearing
opinions/reviews from real users of Nikon IV ED.
In fact, basing on numerous very positive opinions about SS4000 I would
prefer this one, however it isn't available in my country
(Polaroid hasn't an official distributor in Israel) and should I order it
only from abroad I would be concerned about his support in the future.
Besides of that, S&H from US to Israel for this kind of fine instrument
would be quite high (not to mention possible Custom hassles).

That drives me into models available here and thus can be supported locally
which are Minolta and Nikon.
Being quite attracted by Elite II specifications I was put off the reports
from the first users about strange effects caused by
faulty/dirty CCD or due to another technical problems. That was quite
frustrating though...
On the other hand, the Nikon models suffer from AF problem as was reported
more then once by either 4000ED or IV ED users.

However, I would appreciate the reports from IV ED users about scanner's
performance in terms of AF and dynamic range.
I'm going to scan slides many of which has night scenic where dark details
should be pulled out...

Regards,
Alex Z