Re: filmscanners: Rescans and archiving

On the other hand, I am somewhat depressed that a number of travel and
family pix that I shot between 10 and 30 years ago on Eastmacolor (5247,
5254, etc.) negative stock and slides printed therefrom have become pretty
bad stored in their original boxes or in rotary trays in ordinary home
environment. Not only have the colors faded, but the images have coarsened
to the point that nothing more than a wallet-sized print would look decent.
Kodachromes shot at the same time, with similar treatment are still quite
satisfactory. (And some of the above movie stock has survived much better.)
Hersch

At 06:48 PM 12/11/2001 -0500, you wrote:
>On 12/11/01 9:25 AM, "Mário Teixeira" <mjteixeira@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:
> >
> > | Personally, I trust my film to maintain most of its integrity for many
> > | years to come, so I'm not panicking to get everything on CD-R.
> > |
> > | Art
> >
> > Me too, I trust my color slides longevity -- I am scanning slides with near
> > thirty years that are in perfect conditions.
> >
> > Mario Teixeira
> > mjteixeira@yahoo.com
>
>Hi!
>
>I have a couple rolls of Kodachrome that my father shot (Leica IIIc) when I
>was 3 mos old. That makes them (shudder) over fifty years old. They look
>like the day they came back from Kodak. (Hell to scan though.) On the other
>hand, sometime in the Sixties Dad switched to some gawdawful stuff called
>"Dynachrome". Every last slide is useless.
>
>Les

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.