Re: filmscanners: Rescans and archiving

"Les Berkley" <wogears@fast.net> wrote:

| On 12/11/01 9:25 AM, "Mário Teixeira" <mjteixeira@yahoo.com> wrote:
|
| > "Arthur Entlich" <artistic@ampsc.com> wrote:
| >
| > | Personally, I trust my film to maintain most of its integrity for many
| > | years to come, so I'm not panicking to get everything on CD-R.
| > |
| > | Art
| >
| > Me too, I trust my color slides longevity -- I am scanning slides with
near
| > thirty years that are in perfect conditions.
| >
| > Mario Teixeira
| > mjteixeira@yahoo.com
|
| Hi!
|
| I have a couple rolls of Kodachrome that my father shot (Leica IIIc) when
| was 3 mos old. That makes them (shudder) over fifty years old. They look
| like the day they came back from Kodak. (Hell to scan though.) On the
other
| hand, sometime in the Sixties Dad switched to some gawdawful stuff called
| "Dynachrome". Every last slide is useless.
|
| Les

I was so happy with my last scanning batch that I completely forgot that I
also have slides with the same age (and some younger) faded or with moulds.
Now, I am  reviewing my older slides at least twice a year. From past
experience, it seems that I will not have problems at least until they are
10 to 15 years old. But, as another filmscanner very well said, this depends
on the climatic conditions. Also on how carefully you archive them.

Mario Teixeira
mjteixeira@yahoo.com