Re: filmscanners: Polaroid Insight vs. Silverfast AI vs. Vuescan

I have the Nikon LS-30 with Nikonscan.  I used Nikonscan for about a week - had
to fiddle around with numerous level and curve controls etc., got a good result
but I still had to re-adjust it all in (at that time) Corel PhotoPaint.  The
image as seen on the NikonScan panels was not of good enough quality or large
enough size to adjust properly, plus when brought into PhotoPaint it always was
different enough from what it looked like on the NikonScan screen that it
needed further adjustment.

I had already gotten Vuescan to try out on my flatbed, I scanned from the LS-30
quickly without detailed adjustments - essentially the default settings except
for inserting the film type and adjusting the crop, and got a scan very good in
terms of complete information from the film (though it will look bland).  I
then adjusted it in PhotoPaint - Levels, Curves and sharpening, and my result
was better - because I was making the fine adjustments using a graphics program
where I could see what my adjustments would result in better than I could in
NikonScan.

To make a long story short, why adjust twice when Vuescan gives me all the
film's detailed information quickly and easily, and (now) Photoshop tweaks that
information to my liking.  It makes the scan process itself quick and easy - it
has a specific film setting for (I estimate) over 90% of all films ever made.
Plus, when adjusting Levels and Curves based on a Preview view (which one has
to do in a scanning program), one can never know for sure what the scan result
will actually look like.

Re SilverFast - I only have SilverFast SE (lite) for the Epson flatbed and have
barely used it, so I can't speak to it's qualities.

Maris