RE: filmscanners: Is half interpolation better than none

> I am currently scanning monochrome negatives MF 6x6 using an Epson
> Expression 1680 Pro using Vuescan. Until recently I scanned at
> the optical
> resolution of 1600 dpi. I have recently tried scanning at 3200dpi which I
> assume is true in the line of scan due to the half step from the stepper
> motor but interpolated in the line of the CCD.

The field of view of the CCD will be 1600dpi, no matter what the resolution
of the stepper motor is (at that magnification that is).  Given this, you
really don't get any more "real" information by half-stepping...

> The general advice is to scan at the optical resolution - am I
> just wasting
> storage space by going for 3200dpi ? My final output is an Epson
> 1160 using
> the Cone Piezo BW driver. This driver is said to work better when
> supplied
> with as much data as possible.

It may work better with some images and not with others...but one thing is
true, you do need to send the Piezo print driver more than 1600ppi for a
decent size print, I'd say at least 240 would be good, so you are probably
going to get better results with what you are doing (as opposed to using PS
interpolation or using lower PPI to the printer)...but the only real way to
find out is to test it your self.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.