filmscanners: Is half interpolation better than none

I am currently scanning monochrome negatives MF 6x6 using an Epson
Expression 1680 Pro using Vuescan. Until recently I scanned at the optical
resolution of 1600 dpi. I have recently tried scanning at 3200dpi which I
assume is true in the line of scan due to the half step from the stepper
motor but interpolated in the line of the CCD. The scans produced are
different in two main respects 1. much larger files and 2. I have found the
3200dpi scans are easier to sharpen (less sensitive to oversharpening - I
can use a larger radius on USM in PS).

The general advice is to scan at the optical resolution - am I just wasting
storage space by going for 3200dpi ? My final output is an Epson 1160 using
the Cone Piezo BW driver. This driver is said to work better when supplied
with as much data as possible.

I am trying to standardise my workflow and would value comments on the
optimal dpi setting for this scanner.

Steve Chambers
steven.chambers@btinternet.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.