Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000ED nightmares!!!

Bill F. wrote:
> So what I'd do is allocate as much RAM as I possibly can to Photoshop
> (in your case about 1.2GB of RAM to Photoshop leaving 300MB for the
> system and other stuff), then run Photoshop alone (no other apps
> running) and with no images open between scans.
Thanks for your help, Bill; much appreciated.  Actually, Photoshop doesn't
let me allocate more than 999,999k.  It simply will not permit me to type in
the 7th digit. (Thus yielding 976.6 megs of Photoshop RAM)
> Of course you know how to increase Photoshop's RAM allocation, right?
> Go to the Finder, find the Photoshop application, select it, from the
> File menu choose Get Info > Memory, in the resulting window type
> 120000 into the "Peferred Size:" box.
Yup, I do know how to do that.  But I think maybe you meant to type
1,200,000k instead of 120,000k.  Try it...and let me know if it works for
you.  (Can't exceed 6 digits)

The Nikon 8000ED produced pretty quick scans on my 400mhz Mac G4 w/1.5 gigs
of RAM...IF I just stuck with 1 pass 8 bit scans with no ICE, GEM, etc. and
IF I never turned on the Color Management.
I clocked these times for a 6x6 neg using NikonScan as a plugin.
I had maximum RAM allocated to Photoshop. (976.6 megs)
Color Management was turned OFF.
2000ppi w/o ICE.....1 min.
4000ppi w/o ICE.....2 min.
2000ppi w/  ICE.....3.5 min.
4000ppi w/  ICE.....10 min.

Since I've become interested in the new Minolta Scan Multi Pro, I've also
become SCAN TIME conscious.  I've asked several Minolta Scan Multi Pro
owners for actual scan times (as opposed to press releases or the
imaging-resource.com review).  The peculiar thing that I've noticed here is
that PC owners tend to be more willing to provide the scan times than Mac
owners.  I'm beginning to suspect that because PC's are currently just plain
faster than Macs, the PC owners are more inclined to report their speedier
scan times.

Anyway, I've sent back my Nikon 8000ED in exchange for the Minolta Scan
Multi Pro. When it arrives, I'll be happy to serve as a Mac owner who is
willing to report all of my findings; both good and bad.

Joyfully,  -david soderman- <><

P.S.--- I bought my 400mhz G4 just before the end of 2000.  At the beginning
of 2001, Apple came out with the 800+ mhz machines.  I wasn't even looking
at hi-rez MF film scanners back then.  (That's the way the mop flops!)

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.