filmscanners: FW: reflections from the neg carrier

A comment from a SS120 owner that I was asked to forward on.
David

-----Original Message-----
From:   Robert  Wright [mailto:rwrightphoto@mac.com]
Sent:   Thursday, November 29, 2001 7:27 PM
To:     HEMINGD@polaroid.com
Subject:        reflections from the neg carrier

I have been following the debate on the film scanners list and thought I
would provide a little feedback.
I didn't see it at first, but indeed there is a loss of contrast at the
edges of film next to the carrier, which I am 99% positive is caused by
flare degrading the scan.  I have only observed it on the medium format
carrier, but since the 35mm carrier uses the same shiny black plastic in the
cover it might do it too.
The plastic used in the carrier cover has a shine to it which is the likely
culprit.
I only notice it on dark areas where the dmax is affected.  It is harder to
see on light areas.
I am sure I could fix it with a contrast boost and history-brush along the
edges of the image, not unlike what we do in conventional darkrooms, burning
in the edge of the print a little to force the eye back into the picture.
I am reluctant to spray dulling spray on the plastic because it might not
stick or might begin to flake off, and I'm not sure it would make a big
difference.  Ditto with matt black spray.
Virtually all enlarger carriers do the same thing, and filed-out carriers
are worse as they admit a lot of non-image forming light all around the
image.  Diffused light enlargers are worse compared to condenser enlargers
due to the high amount of non-collimated light.  Comparing the Polaroid 120
and the Nikon 8000 in this respect, you might expect the Nikon to fare
better with its more collimated light, but at the expense of making dust
removal a chore.  Seems the 'new' darkroom and the 'old' darkroom have more
similarities every day!
Kudos for your online involvement in Polaroid's products.  Where are the
nikon reps?
best
Robert Wright

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.