Re: filmscanners: Nikon Coolscan IV vs. Minolta Dimage Scan Elite II

I think you have mixed up two Minolta Scanners.  I don't fault you,
since Minolta is great at confusing the issue with their scanner names.

In the current Minolta film scanner line up are three models (that I am
aware of)

1: Minolta Dimage Dual Scan II

This is a 35mm and APS scanner (with optional adapter). It is 2820 dpi,
A/D 12 bit, no IR channel, no dICE, USB interface.

Retail about $400

2: Minolta Dimage Elite II

This is a 35mm and APS scanner (with optional adapter). It is 2820 dpi,
A/D 16 bit, IR channel, dICE cube, USB and firewire interface.

Retail about $725

3: Minolta DImage Multi

This is a 35mm and medium format scanner.  It is 4800 dpi in 35mm mode
and 3200 dpi in medium format, A/D 16 bit, has IR channel, dICE cube,
Wide SCSI and firewire

Retail about $3000

SO, the unit you saw for about $400 is not the Elite (unless they are
giving a very good price, and I'd like to know where ;-)) but the Scan
Dual, which is a lesser unit.  Not necessarily a bad unit, mind you, if
you get a good one, but not the Elite.  The scanner looks almost
identical from external view.  The case they put these in seems to be
identical.

Art

patton paul wrote:

> I'm a serious amateur photographer and have been thinking about purchasing
> a Nikon Coolscan IV.  Its advantages include 2900 dpi resolution and ICE.
> However, at nearly $800.00, the price makes me hesitant.  I recently learned
> that Minolta has marketed a filmscanner called the Dimage Scan Elite II,
> which has specifications that seem very similar to the Coolscan IV, but costs
> only $400.00.  Could anyone please comment on the relative quality of these
> two scanners?  The DSE II has 2,820 dpi resolution and ICE.  Its dynamic
> range is 4.8, which is better than the Coolscan's 3.6.  Could someone please
> explain whether this difference is significant?  The light source in the
> DSE II is a cold cathode fluorescent tube, whereas that for the Coolscan is
> an LED.  What are the relative advantages and disadvantages of these two
> light sources?  Are the two machines roughly comparable, as their specs
> seem to suggest, or is the Nikon Coolscan really worth the extra money?
> Dr. Paul Patton
> Beckman Institute  Rm 3027  405 N. Mathews St.
> University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign  Urbana, Illinois 61801
> work phone: (217)-265-0795   fax: (217)-244-5180
> home phone: (217)-328-4064
> homepage: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~ppatton/index.html
>
> "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the
> source of all true art and science."
> -Albert Einstein
>
> .

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.