RE: filmscanners: creating correction curves from scanned calibration chart?

jeez its late and i've had too many beers but ill give it a go.

(extreme example) imagine we had a linear luminocity scale of 0-100 (0% to
100%) and these are represeted in values in a file between 0-100. The best
device you have got can represent say 10%-90%. anything below 3 or above 96
is clamped at the respective values. that means your entire contrast range
can only be expressed in the 80 steps between 10 and 89, thus leaving 20
values unavailable to be used.

If we all agreed that the 0-100 values in the file mapped to the real values
of 10% to 90%, then we have 100 steps of contrast different between the two
points?

Not making sense? hmm, even I'm not sure what I'm writing at the mo. This is
my last mail on the subject.  topic closed.

further reading:
http://www.inforamp.net/~poynton/notes/colour_and_gamma/ColorFAQ.html

warmest regards
Ned (or Ed as shAf called me, lol)