filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: RE: filmscanners: 2700ppi a limiting factor in sharpness?

John wrote:
> Don't think that these $800-3000 scanner toys we are using
> are the best it will get or the best that is out there.

I have a Nikon LS30.  It's technology which is what, four years old?  There's
much better scanners on the market now if one has the money.  I don't.
Having said that, I get excellent (IMO) results from the LS30 with the right
films exposed well.  The LS30 is able to produce scans with enough resolution
for a magazine cover page at 300dpi, and at the moment, that's all I need.

> If you have an image that is that "good" get a drum scan
> from Nancy Scans (11,000 dpi?) or somewhere.

I suspect the cost of sending the film from Austraila to the States and
returning the result on a CDR (if indeed an 11K scan would fit) would be
prohibitive.  More to the point, I have no need for that sort of resolution,
nor does the magazine I'm supplying files to.  If I was fortunate enough
to be supplying photos to National Geographic however...

> I am not saying you can't get good results and sell work
> using these scanners but lenses and film are more of a
> high quality constant than the digital age we have just
> begun to get into.

Precisely why I'm looking at getting better glass in front of the film.

Rob

Rob Geraghty harper@wordweb.com
http://wordweb.com

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.