Re: filmscanners: Nikon Scan 3.1 / Windows 2000: "Could not open Nikon Scan 3.1 data source"

At 19:21 06-10-01 +0200, Svante Kleist wrote:
>At the end of "Readme.wri" is listed "TWAIN_32.DLL" (obviously in of the
>.cab files).
>The only file named so on my computer is "C:\WINNT\twain_32.dll",
>44 816 bytes, version 1.7.0.0, i.e. the one provided with Windows 2000.

That's the correct file version and location. NS doesn't replace it by
design insofar as I can tell.

>==> Shouldn't "TWAIN_32.DLL" from the "Nikon Scan 3.1" distribution
>    end up somewhere on my disk after installation?
>
>==> And what about "Twunk_32.exe" in the folder "NScan31"? The one in
>    "C:\WINNT" is also the Windows 2000 original.

NS will always use the one in its local directory and not the version in
C:\WINNT.

>When I try to acquire from TWAIN in other applications, I note that
>no TWAIN sources are listed. Maybe this has something to do with
>the "bugcheck" that crashes Windows when I start VueScan?
>
>As you understand I'm beginning to feel quite desperate.
>At all means, I want to avoid a complete re-install of Windows.

This usually isn't necessary with Win2K. Two suggestions come to mind:

1) Go to a command prompt windows and run SFC. It's the system file
protection utility. First just execute SFC without any parameters to see
its options. Then do SFC /SCANNOW. That will ensure that you have the
correct versions of all system files installed and that none of them are
corrupted. Be sure to have your Win2K installation CD handy before you do this.

2) Install a Win2K Service Pack, either SP1 or SP2 to update all your
system files. The bugcheck message with Vuescan isn't normal and probably
not directly related to Vuescan. It may indicate a bad system file somewhere.

Unless you're using a special DV capture card with a firewire port
(Pinnacle, for example) all firewire cards use the same built-in system
driver in Win2K. If you want to make sure that the driver is installed
properly use Add/Remove hardware in Control Panel to remove the firewire
device. Then when you reboot it will be reinstalled automatically.

I agree with Ed, though, I think you have something wrong with Win2k. I
>>use Vuescan without any problem and if Windows is crashing, it's not
>>Vuescan, it is Windows itself. An app should not be able to crash the OS.

Yes, I agree also. I don't use Vuescan much but when I do it never crashes.
It's a very robust program.

Cary Enoch Reinstein aka Enoch's Vision, Inc., Peach County, Georgia
http://www.enochsvision.com/, http://www.bahaivision.com/ -- "Behind all
these manifestations is the one radiance, which shines through all things.
The function of art is to reveal this radiance through the created object."
~Joseph Campbell

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.