filmscanners: Nikon Scan 3.1 / Windows 2000: "Could not open Nikon Scan 3.1 datasource"

Hi everybody,

This is my first visit here. I'm trying to take my first steps
with "Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED".

I'm using Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 2
(and the latest security hot fixes) and the firewire card
provided with the scanner.

The card works fine with a "PYRO 1394 WebCam". The cam is
disconnected, and I've uninstalled its software to avoid possible conflicts.

I've confirmed that the scanner is listed under "Imaging Devices"
in the Windows Device Manager.

My problem:
----------

When I launch the "Nikon Scan 3.1" application, as downloaded from
"www.nikon-euro.com",
a dialog box appears telling me "Could not open Nikon Scan 3.1 data source".

I suspect that the WFP scheme ("Windows File Protection") in incompatible
with
the Nikon Scan installer, since the Window Event Log shows that attempts to
replace
"twunk_32.exe" and "twain_32.dll" in "C:\winnt\" have been stopped by WFP.

Theories, anyone?

Svante Kleist, Stockholm

P.S. I've tried to start "VueScan 7.1.20", but that one causes Windows to
re-start
     immediately during startup...

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.