Re: filmscanners: brandnew user queries

> | Perhaps I should rent a really excellent flatbed to scan these
> | prints, rather than make do with slide scans which lose the ultrafine
> | detail. Do you recall the list's consensus on the best flatbeds? I realise
> | that it will take two passes per image with stitching to join them.

Really high end flatbed scanners will be able to scan your  11 x14 prints in a
single pass. I believe that he
Scitex Eversmart has a 12" x 17" scanning bed, and has an optical resolution of
5000 dpi, if not that high,
certainly over 3000 dpi.

Although I think a direct scan of your original film on a very high end scanner
might give you better
results.  There is a difference of opinion, but either a flatbed or drum
scanner can give really good results,
your choice might be dictated by the condition (scratches etc.) and tonal range
of your original film.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.