Re: filmscanners: brandnew user queries

Harvey wrote:

> Although I think a direct scan of your original film on a very high end
scanner might give you better
> results.  There is a difference of opinion, but either a flatbed or drum
scanner can give really good results,
> your choice might be dictated by the condition (scratches etc.) and tonal
range of your original film.

We have one competent pro lab (both film & digital) here on Maui, run by a
chap who was a high-end advertising illustrator on the East Coast for
decades. He says his scanner actually removes scratches and other defects,
and it's capable of doing 16K dpi -- but he refuses to tell me which scanner
it is! Last time we discussed this, a few months back, he offered to do 16K
dpi scans for $30 each, but said that in his opinion 2K or 4K dpi was
perfectly adequate! Rob at the Lightroom in Berkeley has a commercial
scanner which is only 4K dpi, but his giclee (sp?) prints look great. My
main problem with Rob is one of economics, he wants $75 per scan including
an 11" x 14" proof. He includes any necessary retouching of surface defects
in that price, so it's not really horrendous, just more than I can afford
right now.

Now that the SS4000 is in my condo I'll be able to work on everything except
the most significant images. Will have to defer those until some time in the
future.

Salutations, David L

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.