Re: filmscanners: Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

"Ian Boag" <ianboag@partslink.co.nz> wrote:
> It's not so long ago that we had a thread from a distressed man with
> irreplaceable shots from Puerto Rico or someplace round there which had
> been hopelessly fogged by airport X-rays.

I don't remember whether the films had ever been in check-in luggage because
he not only took the films there, but didn't process them until he came
back.  They were fast print films.  A simple summary of this whole thread
would appear to be:

1) Never put unprocessed film in check-in luggage because it will almost
certainly get fogged
2) If you can get film hand checked, all the better
3) IF you have the time and money and are prepared to risk mishandling by an
unknown lab, process the films in situ.
4) Buying and processing the films in situ is the only way to be guaranteed
there's no fogging, but risks film and processing of unknown quality
5) Scanners for carry-on luggage don't appear to do significant damage to
slower films but the damage is cumulative, so the less the better, but
*don't panic*.

Can we get back to film scanning please? :)

Rob

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.