Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Robert writes:

> Because I've seen it many times with my own
> eyes.

What sorts of things have you seen?

> Huh, so you think improper storage doesn't
> make any noticable difference?

I won't be able to answer that question unless you define what you mean by
"improper storage."

If you mean simply not keeping the film in a refrigerator, I'm not convinced
that it makes much difference.

> I don't think the x-ray for handbagage is much
> worse (unless you scan it many many times) then
> improper storage of film.

If many x-ray scans damage the film, then obviously even one scan must be
damaging the film, and the effect is simply cumulative.  But in fact only one
good blast is required to damage the film, so a single passage through an x-ray
scanner may ruin a roll.

> If you prepare yourself good enough there is
> no problem with x-ray.

If you are lucky, you mean.  As long as it is not heavily blasted with x-rays,
it won't be fogged.

Similarly, as long as you are lucky, you can buy and develop film anywhere.

Personally, as long as you are travelling in the developed world, I don't see
why buying and developing film locally would be any riskier than passing
unexposed or undeveloped film through x-ray scanners.

> Anyway, I have the impression you are only here
> to argue ...

No.  I am examining what appears to be popular mythology.  Many people seem to
take for granted that you must buy and develop all your film at home, just as
they seem to take for granted that "precautions" will prevent their film from
being fogged by x rays.  But I do not see why the risks must be as people
believe--certainly I've seen no proof that they are, whereas I've definitely
seen proof that they are not, in some cases (fogged film and the like).

Here in Paris, you can get poppin' fresh film very easily, and get it
competently developed just as easily.  There is no reason at all to come here
with a suitcaseful of unexposed film and leave with a suitcaseful of undeveloped
film, and yet because of this existing mythology, many visitors continue to do
exactly that.

> ... even about things that are quite obvious and
> without ever changing your opinion by just a tiny
> bit.

If they were obvious I would not question them.  They may be "obvious" to you,
but they are not to me, and thus far you've said nothing that makes them any
more so in my view.  Simply asserting strongly that your point of view is
correct is not persuasive, and your resort to personal attacks tells me that you
don't actually have any substantiation for your opinion--it is simply your
opinion, and you don't wish to reconsider it.

All well and good, for you at least, but since you cannot demonstrate why it is
better to cart around your own film everywhere instead of just buying and
developing it locally, I think it best to at least show the objective equality
of both options to others who do not necessarily cling to your opinion.

> Therefore, it does not make any sense to respond to
> any of your messages anymore.

I agree, if your only response would be personal attacks and forceful
reassertions of your own opinion.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.