Re: filmscanners: OT:X-ray fogging

Again, my experiences with Europe (and Africa) go back 20 years, BUT,
the storage I saw in many locales was dismal.  The film was dusty and
the boxes faded, the stuff was rarely refrigerated.  I had no idea if
the film was being rotated, sold, or even if the dates could be
trusted.  I did find a few larger photo stores which obviously did big
business dealt with professional photographers, and were moving a lot of
film, but in many places I went (and Athens was one) finding fresh film
was no easy.  I actually had films shipped to me from the US, since I
was on extended travel.  Back then it was still cheaper that way, and
they didn't x-ray parcels, which they now might well do.

I know my local supplier goes through hundred of rolls, if not
thousands, per week, and they rotate stock, they refrigerate pro films,
etc.

Lastly, by buying film locally before I go, I don't end up having any
language barrier, nor do I have to worry the film will be out of stock,
nor do I have to find the shop in a town or city I do not know, and hope
I have enough time to get back there before I have to leave.

Art

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

> Robert writes:
>
> > Because you don't know how well they have
> > stored the film.
>
> What reason is there to believe that it would be stored any worse than at
>home?
> And how do you know how well film is stored at home?
>
> How much difference does improper storage make?  And what do you consider
> improper storage?
>
> > And I don't really feel like finding a good
> > professional place to buy my film when I have
> > lots of other stuff to worry about.
>
> Like having all the photography from your trip ruined by x-ray fogging.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.