Re: filmscanners: tiff compression

what do people think about saving my raw scans as LZW tiff's?I am making 48 bit 6x7 scans on Nikon 8000, and they are over 500Mb each, so lossless compression would save a hell of a lot of space, but what are the drawbacks? can most programmes decode them if I send them to people on a CD?Also, for catalogue/ magazine use what sort of RGB file size should I supply,something like a 12" print at 300dpi is still 75Gb uncompresses, which seems big for most magazines
Supplying big files to magazines is not a problem, they are used to it, but we knock down to 8 bit before transferring.  Most equipment does not process in 16 bit (yet).

There is a new compression program out there called MR CID (or something like that).  It seems to have gotten rave reviews, although we have not played with it yet.  Our clients have had problems with LZW compression and prefer uncompressed files.

To that end, have invested in a Peerless system.  It has 10 gig & 20 gig 'disks', is rugged (can be dropped on the floor), has very fast transfer rates (firewire @ 15 MG/sec.) It's made by Iomega.

When time is a problem, we post our scans to an ftp site, and have the client get it via the web.

Harvey Ferdschneider
partner, SKID Photography, NYC

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.