Re: filmscanners: Review on Canon FS4000/film is dead

> >From
> >> http://www.normankoren.com/Tutorials/Canoscan4000.html
> >"The CanoScan FS4000US will be my last 35mm scanner. It's more than
adequate
> >to capture the detail in my images going back to the 1960's. Digital
cameras
> >are improving so fast that I doubt I'll be using 35mm after 2002. Current
> >digital cameras approach 35mm in quality. There's plenty of debate on
> >whether they've surpassed 35mm already, but they certainly will by 2002.
Any
> >digital camera you buy today will be obsolete in a year or two, but you
have
> >to weigh the cost of the camera against the savings in film and
processing.
> >The scale is tipping ever more strongly towards digital. Film sales will
> >soon start dropping like a rock; prices will go up and less popular films
> >will disappear. It's over for film."

MAYBE NOT!!

In the '80's fiber optic cable promised to outperform copper (Cat5) for data
networking.
Everyone knew that copper cable had outlived it's usefulness and would soon
be abandoned.

In the 90's fiber optic cable (600 Mb/s) surpassed copper (100Mb/s) for high
speed data networking.
Fiber got cheap enough to be feasible if not competitive with copper.
New facilities all over the world were infrastructured for use of fiber
optic cable to the desktop.

Gigabyte Ethernet (1000Mb/s) is now a reality on the once doomed copper
(Cat5)cable.

HAVE YOU NOTICED THAT FILM IS GETTING BETTER MUCH FASTER THAN IN EARLIER
YEARS?

BK

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.