Re: filmscanners: Review on Canon FS4000/film is dead

Respectfully, No.

The two best digital cameras - the Nikon DX-1 and the Canon D-30, approach
35mm transparency quality (I'll post links on the comparison).  The gotcha
is that color film and B&W film exceed the capabilities of transparency
film.

Other factors:
The same Canon and Nikon use imaging devices that are smaller than 24mm x
36mm - and the effect is a 'multiplier' of about 1.4 on your lenses.  Thus
what was a 35mm wide angle, now becomes a 50mm ie a stock lens!!

CCD arrays don't like 'off angle' light very much (because of the mechanics
of the surface of the CCD) - so you get significantly more color fringing at
the edges of the array than in the middle - the wider the angle of the
shot - the more noticable (check out the reviews on
http://www.dpreview.com).

Ok Price,  Lets see, I can buy an Elan 7 that will do what the D-30 does.
Cost delta -$2500
Now the D-30 also needs storage, which adds between $200-$500 in cost
(remmember a "slide equiv" takes at least 18mBytes, so a 256mByte Memory
card is only about 14 or 15shots)

You also need display technology - I assume you have a PC since you are
writing this.  For MOST folks though, their PC isn't a 128mByte 30Gig
Pentium Class box.  Which means they probably have to spend betwee
$500-$1000 to get their machine Photo capable.  And if you don't have a
photo capable machine you need Adobe Photoshop or equiv. ($500)

OK so you want to print.  Well you can do what Arthur suggests, but not all
photo-stores have digital printing solutions.
You can use any one of the online services, but they charge you shipping and
you end up paying on the order of $0.50/5x7
Or you can buy your own PhotoCapable printer - the low end of the Bar there
is $500 (Epson 1280).

OK so your total cost delta from film is $2500 +$500+$500+ (maybe $1000)
Total - between $3500 and $4500 for a film equivilant digital system.

Locally CostCo charges $4.00 to develop and print a 36exp color film roll OR
PhotoWorks.com (nee SeattleFilmWorks) will charge you $7.00 for the same
service and give you a replacement roll.

$3500/7 = 500.  So the break even point is 500 rolls of film (not counting
the storage cost on CDR media).

So the operative question really is:

How long will it take you to shoot 500 rolls of film?

AND

Is the convenience factor (because that is all that digital really offers -
instant gratification and the ability to "change film speed" mid-roll),
worth that extra price?

For photojournalism, the answer is a resounding Yes.
For folks doing studio set-pieces at company parties? Yes
For average Joe who shoots 4-5 rolls/year?  No way.
For the average amateur?  Maybe.

I spent a week shooting with digital.  It wasn't compelling enough to give
up film.