Re: filmscanners: Nikon 8000

> > > Well, by mass distributors I was referring to B&H, Camera World, etc.
> > > Most things nikon are sold at or near cost by these folks. They aren't
> > > doing that with scanners because of what David had mentioned...
> >
> > I can reasonably assure you that B&H and others do not sell at cost,
whether
> > it's a scanner or a camera. I am familiar with wholesale pricing on some
of
> > these products, and they are making a fair profit.
>
> I see, and how long have you been in the business? If by fair profit
> you mean 0-5 percent, I guess you're right. They can make some decent
> profit on gray products, but not on most Nikon USA products.

The mail order places might be able to survive on 5% if they have minimal
overhead and no storefront. B&H's markup is more than that. Local dealers
might be two to three times that. It varies on the product and the business
model. Obviously a full service dealer need to charge more, but their
customers are willing to pay extra for service, support, and intelligent
sales advice.

Who do you know that's selling Nikon scanners at cost.

> You have it almost right... If they make 5 bucks on a camera, plus
> whatever they make on the other things they sell, they will (and do)
> make quite a profit with volume. It is in all the other things that they
> make real profit. Straps, filters, film, bags, etc... Sell a couple
> thousand of these things a day and the money will roll in... And I can
> assure you, they do not lose a dollar, at the very worst, they will
> break even. This has been going on for some time. Have you ever wondered
> why so many local camera stores are going out of business all over the
> country? It is because there is no longer any money to be made on 35mm
> equipment. Many places are strictly photo finishing and used equipment
> these days instead of new equipment sales.

The mail order places might be able to survive on 5% if they have minimal
overhead and no storefront. B&H's markup is more than that. Local dealers
might be two to three times that. It varies on the product and the business
model. Obviously a full service dealer need to charge more, but their
customers are willing to pay extra for service, support, and intelligent
sales advice.

> > > That's what I mean... If the scanners are the same price, why wait
> > > around for a Nikon when you can get the Polaroid now?
> >
> > Because some people compared the two and prefer the Nikon, obviously.
>
> Err, how? There are no Nikon's to be had. You can compare specs and
> features, but not scanners...

My dealer had both Nikon and Polariod scanners set up as demos. I compared
features between the two, did some on-line research, and saw sample scans
from both. I preferred and purchased the Nikon. I'm sure many others go
through the same process in choosing their scanners.

>There are of course people that need
> specific features, but there are many that do not even consider the
> Polaroid just because it is Polaroid.

Probably. So what?

> > I think you need to give people more credit than that. If someone is
> > dropping $3k on a scanner, they're likely to do some product research
and
> > make an informed purchase decision.
>
> You'd be amazed... In my *experience* of selling camera gear, the
> higher the price, the less serious the user is for the most part. There
> are of course many professional and deadly serious amateur photographers
> that make investments in good tools (like the members of this list), but
> the majority of high ticket items are sold to people that want a high
> ticket item, not a tool.

I can see how that would apply to cameras. A lot of dentists own
Hasselblads. A lot of Leicas will never even see the factory shrinkwrap
opened, as that would reduce their collectible value. I could be wrong, but
I've never heard of anyone collecting scanners.

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.