filmscanners: Dusty Scans on SS4000 (was Nikon 8000)

Austin Franklin [darkroom@ix.netcom.com] wrote on Sat, 11 Aug
2001 14:29:49 -0400

>...if that were the case, my Leafscan would have the same problem, and it
>does not

I don't know the Leafscan but didn't you say it blows clean air over the
film? A bit of an unfair comparison.

(I was wishing the other (hot) day that the Polaroid did the same, I
don't like it when my originals come out of the scanner warm. I wanted
the air for cooling though, not dust removal - is the Leafscan cooling or
dusting?)

>Perhaps you are just not as picky about "no dust" as
>I am...and the dust on my SS4k scans would have been acceptable to you..

This might be true. I am very fussy about the way I do things. In all the
years making 'traditional' prints in my darkroom I never once used a
spotting brush. My negs went into the (glass) film carrier clean and I
had perfect prints.

Now I find I do have to 'spot' my scans. I don't think it's acceptable
but I assumed that it is due to the way filmscanners work - the way the
light source and optics work. (Anyone who's worked in a darkroom knows
the difference between a point and diffuse light source).

At the end of the day are we not limited by the equipment. The Polaroid
is a £1000 scanner, how much was your Leafscan?

--
David Gordon
mail@davidgordon.co.uk

Copyright © Lexa Software, 1996-2009.